here we will discuss about one of the most important factor needed by every android device, that is to backup its rom and restore it in times of need.
Well, the advantage is that it can backup your device right as it was before backing up, as if it paused that moment of the device and can play again later any time from that place itself.
It will save the current progress of your game, the apps installed, your contacts, messages, and restore them right as it is whenever you want.
No matter if your device is damaged or what. Its very helpful and essential for each android user to get back their device in the initial form.
Firstly, you should know why its so important, here’s why:
1. Software Damage: Suppose you bricked your device for some reason, or you encountered virus attack and that damaged your software, or you downloaded any harmful stuffs that disabled your device, or tried to perform exploits or experimenting with your device, it may damage.
It also may damage for any reason, like you backup your windows software in a hard disk when you buy a new pc/laptop, you essentially need to back your rom up so that you can restore it in times of need and it may protect you.
2. Save Money: If you dont have a backup and you brick your phone, you have no choice than to rush to service centre and avail a software update. What they actually do is to restore your device firmware again and charges you for that. Well, with a backup, you are all safe.
3. Root Device: Rooting android device is actually gaining deep permissions of your device and modifying them according to own will. It is extremely dangerous to perform these tasks unarmed.
If you encounter any problem, your device will be ruined. Backup is a must.
4. Installing Custom Rom: Custom Roms actually gives life to an android device. Often you don’t like the dumb rom your software company gives you and want to try out 3rd party roms. Again you will need backup of old rom to restore it anytime.
Now comes another choice, what software should you use for backing up?
They are called custom recovery softwares.
The popular softwares are Clockwork Mod (CWM) and TeamWin Projects (TWRP).
You will get Custom Recoveries built by Clockworkmod in this site: https://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager and by TeamWin Project
here: http://teamw.in/project/twrp2 They have made recoveries for various devices over there, but if your device is not listed in any of them, don’t worry.
Thanks to the developers across the world, they have made or modified those available recoveries to suit more devices than it was previously.
You can easily verify if your device supports cwm/twrp or not, simply search on google thats all.
Write your device name and code then put a space and then type the letters ‘cwm’ or ‘twrp’ and google will show the available results.
For example, I own a Galaxy Ace Duos myself, which is a low end device and hasn’t got the official Clockworkmod recovery yet.
But I availed one from the web. Just Type Galaxy Ace Duos gt s6802 cwm.
You try with your device, you will get one for sure.
There are hardly any device that hasn’t got a recovery yet.
Exception may be new devices but they will get, for sure, within few months. It depends on the popularity of device.
The devices which are widely popular, and used by lots of users, gets these type of advancements faster than others due to demand.
Thats all. Hope you have got the idea and the importance of recoveries and are ready to apply it.
Well, you need to know some basics of recovery mode before going for it.
Its not like an apk file that will run and backup your rom, you need to know how to boot your device in recovery mode first.
WHAT IS RECOVERY MODE AND HOW TO USE IT?
You must see the above link to know how to get accustomed to the recovery environment and how to control it, as touch screen wont work there.
BACKUP YOUR DEVICE ROM USING CWM:
Well, I love to use cwm recovery and as I find it user friendly, so here I am giving steps for cwm only, and I recommend you to use cwm.
Before you start, make sure you have at least 300MB space in your /sdcard folder (the internal memory) as one backup consumes that space.
Make sure your battery is above 80%. You cannot charge your phone in between, so better to try with full charge.
Now to backup your device, reboot your device into recovery mode first and follow the steps below:
1. Choose apply update from sdcard.
2. Choose cwm.zip (Note that its a .zip file)
If you download cwm, first rename that downloaded file into something you can remember, like ‘cwm’ and keep it in the /sdcard folder.
3. Now clockworkmod will load. There you can see Backup and Restore option. Refer to the picture at the right. Choose that.
4. Here you can backup your current rom and restore a previously backuped rom. All backups are saved with the name of its backup date, so its easier to choose.
5. There is an advanced restore feature, it helps to restore either system or data etc individually of a previously backuped rom.
6. When you are done, just reboot device.
Now no need to worry again for your rom backup. It can backup everything. And you can now try out new custom roms, and whenever you want, save that rom image and restore the previous one to get that old image back! Cool, isnt it? You can now switch between roms!